Start a Blog on Bluehost: How to Create a Blog in 4 Easy Steps
Create a blog in 4 easy steps. My goal is to get you started on your blog right away.
You don’t have to be an expert of any fields if you want to create a blog. In short, no technical skill is required here.
Though you need to be committed, and make sure that blogging is what you really want to do.
Here Are My Top 11 Reasons Why You Should Start a Blog Today
1. Time. Blogging takes a lot of time and effort, if you can’t start a blog today. When?
2. You will learn new things. The best part of blogging is you will learn a lot of things that you never knew you could do.
3. You will become a better writer. Blogging is somehow practicing your writing skills. The more you write, the better you will become as a writer.
4. Building your connections. You will gain more friends and more followers that trust your work and not just friendly neighbors, but all across the globe.
5. You can express your thoughts. If you’re the kind of person that can’t express out loud, then say it through writing.
6. Make Money. You could never hide the fact that blogging makes money. But your income will also depends on your hard work, it could be $10 per month or $10,000 per month.
7. You will inspire others. By sharing your success to your readers, you will give them a reason to do the same.
8. Freedom. This is my favorite part. You can do whatever you want. Work anytime you want without having a boss. You can even work while on a vacation, anytime, anywhere.
9. It will boost your confidence. As you learn more things, it will boost your confidence because you do things that others can’t do or won’t do.
10. Become a better thinker. Blogging requires a lot of research and decision-making. You need to make the right choice in making a decision. But don’t be afraid to fail. Failure is part of success. Just think wise.
11. YOLO. You Only Live Once. Don’t spend your entire life working in a company. Set your own terms.
“I want to make my own blog.” — that’s actually what I thought few years ago. Now, it’s time for me to show you how to make your own blog.
Steps to Start a Blog
These are the 4 easy steps on how to create a blog, and I will walk you through it in detail.
- Choose a blogging platform
- Setup your domain
- Install WordPress
- Select your WordPress theme
And later on with this post, I will show you how to plan for your blog.
Planning for your blog
- Find the best niche for you
- Define your readers
- List possible posts
- Add value to your readers
- Ignore bad comments
- Social Media
Before we proceed to the steps, here are few questions that you may want to know.
- Is it difficult to setup a blog?
- How much does it cost me?
To setup a blog would only take 20-30 minutes of your time.
So what do you need to start a blog?
- Domain Name. This is the name of your site (just like www.prolazydad.com). If you haven’t decided your domain yet, just don’t rush. Take your time to choose your site name you want. Normally the domain name will cost $14.99 / yr.
- Web hosting. This is where your site live on the internet. Web hosting will cost you around $7.99 / mo.
Can’t afford the $7.99 / month, plus $14.99 / yr for your domain?
Here’s the deal,
Bluehost the biggest hosting company offers a big discount for our readers.
Bluehost exclusively offers a 50% discount, FREE Domain, FREE Site Builder for only $3.95 /mo. A domain registration and web hosting for only $3.95 / mo is not that bad, right?
Note: We also believe in transparency. By signing up using this link, we will get a small commission but with no extra cost from you. In fact, you will save money from it with the discounted price.
Step 1: Choose a blogging platform
There are several blogging platform out there and most of them are free. But here are my reasons why should never start a blog under a free platform.
- You don’t have all the rights. Let’s take for example Blogger platform, anytime Google has the right to delete your blog without further notice.
- No design customization. There is no available plugins, and only limited themes to select.
- Other limitation. It comes only with limited space for images, videos and posts.
In other words, if you are a serious blogger and want to start a blog as your business, then don’t use a free platform. Trust me, it will be a total waste of your time.
WordPress is the most popular and recommended platform.
But you may have noticed that there are WordPress.org and WordPress.com. Don’t be confused.
Yes, they are in the same company, but they offer a different platform.
WordPress.org is you host your own website while WordPress.com is they take care of the hosting, most likely the same as Blogger.
I would say that 95% of Professional blogger would recommend WordPress.org because you can do almost everything. Plus, you own your site.
Why Professional Blogger Recommend WordPress.org?
- You only pay for the host and domain
- Thousands of designs available
- Offers easy to use Plugins to help your blog run more efficiently
- You have all the rights (you own your site)
- SEO friendly
Step 2: Setup Your Domain
Select the best plan that suits you. If you are just starting your blog, I would recommend to go with the Basic plan first.
Then enter the domain you have decided and click “next“.
Fill out all the required information under the Account Information.
Double check the package information you want to purchase. You may need not purchase the AddOn to lessen the price, especially if you are just starting your blog. Anyway, you can always add them later on if you think you need them. You can go ahead and untick them.
Complete the purchase by providing the payment information.
Once your order is completed, you will be asked to create a password and you will receive an email to verify your email address.
If you have already created your password, click on “login“.
Then you will automatically login into your account.
Step 3. Install WordPress.
You are already logged in to your account now. Just scroll down a little bit and under Website, click on “Install WordPress“.
Then you will be redirected to the Bluehost Marketplace, on the page just click on “Next“.
Now, select the domain for installation.
After that you will be asked to enter your Site Name, Admin Username, Admin Email Address and Admin Password.
Just overwrite the default value if they have populated it.
You will need to check all the check boxes.
Then click “Install“.
Then it will start installing while Bluehost marketplace is also recommending WordPress themes. No need to buy themes for now, we will show you how to get FREE themes in WordPress.
Once installation is complete, you will see a notice on your browser.
Click on the link of Install Complete; and you will be redirected to your credentials — Your Username and Password that you will be using to login on your WordPress Dashboard.
Congratulations! You have now completed installing the WordPress.
To go to your WordPress Dashboard, click on the link above your Username.
Then, enter your username and password and hit “Login“.
Step 4. Select your WordPress Theme
The look of your blog will depend on your themes. By default, it may not look so good, so we are selecting a free WordPress Theme for you.
On your Dashboard, go to Appearance > Themes. Then click on “WordPress.org Themes“.
On the next page, you will see thousands of Free Themes available in WordPress.org. You may now start browsing on the themes you want to use.
You can also preview the theme first if you want to; just hit on “Preview“. Once you have finalized on what theme you want to use, hover on the theme and click on “Install“.
Wait for a few seconds to install the theme on your WordPress. After completing the installation, the “Install” will be replaced by “Activate“.
Just click on Activate.
That’s it!. Well done.
You can also customize it by clicking on “Customize“.
But I know you will take more time in selecting the best theme for you and customizing it.
So here are few things you need to consider in selecting your theme:
And if you are all set and want to publish your blog, you just need to click on the link below.
I have listed the WordPress Admin menu and their use.
To give you a little background how it will work, read the functions of each menu below:
- Dashboard – Where you can see the analytics of your site.
- Posts – Here you can write and publish new blog posts and view and edit old ones.
- Media – Upload your files like images, PDFs, videos, etc..
- Pages – Where you write and publish pages and view and edit old ones. .
- Comments – Here you can check the comments of your readers.
- Appearance – Customize your blog appearance or look in this menu.
- Plugins – Where you can add or remove plugins.
- Users – You can add additional author, or user.
- Tools – Here you can do the import and export.
- Settings – Edit your blog settings here.
Planning for your blog
Before you publish your blog, make sure that your site is all set. Below is our top recommendations before publishing your blog.
Find the best niche for you.
Decide a niche which you feel like doing. Don’t start a niche just because it’s the hot topic today. Find what you really want to do on your blog. What are you passionate about?
If you don’t love what you are doing, there’s a big possibility that you will end up quitting it soon.
You should ask yourself these questions.
What are my skills?
What are my specialties that I want to share?
Don’t have enough skills? Then, what excites you most? The thing you think you will never lose interest. It can be anything, but you have to be sure that this thing is what you really want to do.
Be specific, but not too narrow that you can’t even think of a list of posts or topics on your blog.
Define your target readers.
Who are your readers? If your niche is about parenting, then your readers could be a mom or dad. By defining your readers you will have a view to where you can market your blog.
Then join some communities that talk about parenting.
“This is my target readers, this is where I share my post.”
Of course, make sure that you do not spam.
List possible posts.
As early as now, list at least 10-15 topics you want to post in your blog. This will also determine how narrow or broad your niche is.
You don’t want a blog that is too broad. It could also be too hard to catch up with the updated post and your blog will be less credible.
Just like I said…
Be specific, but not too narrow. If you have already defined your readers, create a post that will help them.
Add value to your readers.
Create a connection with your readers. Treat them like they are your family, and answer their questions precisely.
This is the only way that your readers will trust you and keep on coming back to your blog.
Spend time doing some research about your post. Find the truth and what is interesting on it. This will put a good impression to your readers.
Ignore bad comments
We cannot prevent the people who like to criticize our work. They are not our readers, and we don’t have anything to do with them. Just delete their post whenever you encounter these kind of person.
Create a page on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, GPlus and Instagram. In this way, you can generate free traffic from your readers.
Do you want to rank higher on Google?
Do you want to know how to make money blogging?
I just want to set your expectation that making money on the blog will not happen over night. Sometimes it takes years for you to make a decent amount of money.
Some people will not start a blog because they are afraid of something, or they doubt themselves.
Know what you are capable of, and don’t let doubt stop you from doing things you can do.
Many people avoided things because they always think that they can’t do it.
That’s the reason why there are only few people who become successful.
Because only a few who take risks.
“Take risks in your life. If you can win, you can lead. If you lose, you can guide” – Swami Vivekananda
Remember, failing doesn’t mean you are already a failure, and the game is over for you. It is just a start of the real battle ahead.
Take courage to stand up. Sometimes it takes time, but it doesn’t matter.
As long as you get over it, and stand up again. You will only become a failure by giving up.
Here’s my short story,
When I was in college, I already know that you can make money online. I never thought about blogging that time, but instead I registered with some known PTC sites. And I only made a few cents per day, it is not enough, but a good start.
I started blogging back in 2012, and guess how many blogs I have already made? I have almost 20 blogs (all of them are under free platform), and none of them works.
And sometimes I thought of giving up, that blogging is not for me, and I will never be good at this. But no matter what I do, I’ll always think of it and I just keep on coming back.
So that’s the time I consider blogging as one of my passions.
You need to love what you do if you want to be successful.
Have you already decided your niche?
And if you want to get more updates on blogging, subscribe to our mailing list below. Don’t worry, we also hate spam and we will only send emails that we know it will be helpful for you.